It’s true! For children of ALL ages! Don’t believe me? Check the research listed at the end of this post!
Why is reading aloud such a critical component for reading success??
- Introduces children to genres they may not discover on their own.
- Exposes children to literary vocabulary-which is different from conversational vocabulary- and is vital for reading comprehension.
- Gives children background knowledge, which helps them make sense of what they hear, see, and read.
- Motivates students to read on their own because they see reading as valuable and exciting.
- Gives students something to talk about which also supports reading and writing skills.
- Lets children use their imagination to explore experiences beyond their own.
- Demonstrates what fluent reading sounds like.
Learning to Read and Write (1998)
Becoming a Nation of Readers (1985)
International Reading Association (1985)
Any benefits not listed here? Please leave a comment and share!