- Maintain high expectations for all students, but adjust the support to accommodate each student.
- Increase your think-alouds that make reading strategies explicit.
- Check for understanding every 10-15 minutes by soliciting answers beyond yes or no.
- Illustrate key points with specific oral and written examples.
- Require students to restate or paraphrase learning.
- Engage students in conversations that reinforce and apply learning.
- Provide many opportunities to practice/apply new learning in various contexts.
- Use prompts/cues initially, gradually withdrawing them to promote independence.
- Give students ample wait time for reflection before asking them to respond.
- Summarize key concepts at the end of every lesson.
Adapted form RTI From All Sides by Mary Howard