Please read below!! These are elements based on research observations that undermine student motivation…
- An emphasis on correct answers rather than learning from mistakes.
- Very little praise given to students.
- Students have little or no choice in learning activities.
- Everyone does the same work.
- Modeling is rare or non-existent.
- Extra schoolwork is given as punishment.
- Lessons are not connected to each other.
- Lecturing is done more than leading discussions.
- Frequent reminders are made concerning upcoming standardized tests.
- Classroom has little or no accountable talk throughout the day.
Throw ALL these behaviors into the instructional trashcan!! Motivation is a huge factor in student achievement!
Information adapted from Richard Allington’s What Really Matters In Response to Intervention.